An atopy school is a real hospital team (dermatologist, pediatrician, allergist, psychologist, nurses, etc.) that serves the patient in order to specifically address his or her issues, i.e. :
- Play down the disease.
- Understand the disease and its evolution.
- Acquire a good understanding of why the treatment was prescribed and how to follow it properly.
- Thoroughly understand the importance of the recommendations and comply with them : hygiene, the application of the emollient, etc.
- Ask any and all questions to better cope with the disease on a daily basis.
Two types of consultations are offered: individual and/or collective involving a group of experts.
Clinical Dermatology and Pediatrics
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medecine - (Chicago - USA)
A three-stage support program is proposed.
- First stage : create a relationship based on trust and listening between the patient and the caregiver.
The patient talks about his or her understanding of the disease, how he or she perceives eczema, the treatments already tried, and the problems encountered. The patient describes his or her environment, living conditions, future projects and expectations of the consultation …
The answers to all these questions help the caregiver prepare an "educational diagnosis". The consultation time is approximately one hour.
- Second stage : propose one or more objectives to the patient.
This is a type of "contract" between the doctor and the patient and/or his family intending to make the patient independent in relation to some precise aspects.
E.g., for a five year old, to be able to apply the treatments on his or her own.
E.g., to be able to precisely point out the inflammed areas on his or her body.
- Third stage : the evaluation.
The evaluation takes place at a subsequent consultation (four weeks later).
It consists in following up on the patient, ensuring the objectives fixed beforehand have been complied with in order to help and support the patient until the treatment ends.
1. Peter Lio - MD- Assistant Professor of Clinical Dermatology and Pediatrics 2. Lawrence F.Eichenfield - Professor of Clinical Pediatrics and Medecine
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medecine - (Chicago - USA) Pediatric & Adolescent Dermatology
The Eczema Care and Education Center Website Rady Children's Hospital San Diego
Highly interactive workshops or therapy groups organized in the presence of doctors, nurses and psychologists for an average of six individuals.
During these meetings, the patients can freely talk about their disease, fears and daily life.
Thanks to educational tools, role playing and educational brochures, these educational workshops are an excellent tool to learn, share knowledge and experiences.