It is of course possible to develop qualitative TPE program in private practice provided you follow the following recommendations:
- We recommend you first follow a TPE training course: many countries now offer awareness-raising seminars, training from specialized organisms, university courses or even e-learning classes .
- Today, some hospitals have become involved in AD management and TPE (see map of schools of atopy) with which exchanges are possible and always positive.
- You need to reorganize your working time knowing that a TPE consultation generally lasts between 30 and 40 minutes.
- Your appointments and emergency consultations therefore need to be reorganized as well.
Suggest TPE to non-responder patients and/or family. The practitioner explains how TPE works and the various steps to achieve good results.
You can replace several consultations with one long initial interview but this needs to be organized beforehand.
Questions to detect corticophobia are essential.
You will then define a personalized action plan at the end of the consultation, include this in the patient’s health booklet which will promote treatment compliance.
Some consultations may focus on different themes:
- Causes of eczema and the consequences on the treatment plan. Using TPE tools can help explain the mechanism of the disease.
- Showing how to apply the treatments is very important: when to apply the creams? How to apply the creams? Where to apply the creams? What amount of cream? When to end the treatment? When to start it again? etc.
TPE is always «rewarding» in terms of practitioner satisfaction when dealing with chronic diseases.